Saturday, July 19, 2008

First Bloggins...





I have been experimenting with different fiber techniques for a while, I really enjoy felting, shibori, and free-form/hand machine stitching. Experimenting with plastic embedding and well as combinations of metal and fiber has been very fun. Going about it in a non-traditional manner interests me because I am free make my pieces in whatever way I find appropriate.

Right now I am using a lot of thread that would be normally useless, at least for sewing. As the thread ages it losses its integrity but with my more is more mentality, strength is in numbers. The more thread I layer the stronger the overall piece becomes. I think as I go on my work will become more and more influenced by folk art.There is a sense of spontaneity, lushness and honesty in folk art that I love.

What I working on right now is a piece that is initially a "canvas" of hand felted raw wool and strips of red raw silk. A one line drawing of a male bust was then formed with black wool yarn. Then many, many, many layers of fiber and thread were made, the lotteria card is hand embroidered over a book cover that was felted in to the fibers.

No comments: